Do you check your Twitter feed even before you get out of bed in the morning? Do you have pinned tabs in your web browser for dozens of blogs, newspapers and television stations? And do you have a passion for storytelling through these media and more? Then you might be a great fit for our public relations team.
Our agency culture demands the following things:
- Ability to communicate with team members effectively
- Conscious of deadlines and budgets
- Organized and self motivated
- Willing to learn new things
- Willingness to find a way to make things happen
- Ability to live our brand standards of excellence
If this describes you, here are the nuts-and-bolts of the Public Relations Specialist job:
General Requirements/Client Relations
- Develop and support communications plans including goals, objectives, strategies and tactics
- Work as part of an account team to develop and execute integrated communications strategies, including public relations, grassroots issue campaigns, marketing, digital and social media initiatives
- Develop meaningful relationships with clients and become recognized as main point of contact
- Quickly demonstrate understanding of client’s industry including top influencers and competitors
- Identify client’s short and long-term goals, translating strategic objectives into public relations tactics, marketing programs, and social media campaigns
- Plan and coordinate media events, managing vendors and overall logistics
Social Media / Media Relations
- Serve as media point of contact and act as community manager for the client’s social media networks.
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with media including traditional outlets and bloggers, to secure top placements for clients
- Respond to media inquiries, develop media lists, pitch stories, identify editorial calendar opportunities, etc.
- Develop high-quality written materials to support media relations success
- Review and ensure consistent messaging on all news media and social media campaigns
- Share proactive, creative recommendations with account team and client including social media engagement strategies, pitch angles, content ideas, target partnerships and events
- Plan and execute social media initiatives, driving strategic content and results reporting
- Manage team resources to meet client commitments
- Meet multiple and concurrent deadlines, individually and for any team members
- Manage budgets
- Facilitate and participate in meetings with other agency teams (e.g., design, creative and digital teams) to brainstorm and determine strategic direction for client programs
- Lead by example, and train and mentor junior staff
Desired Skills and Experience
- 5-7 years experience in PR, ideally with agency/account management experience
- Bachelors Degree in Public Relations, Journalism, Communications, or related field
- Strong pitching skills and the ability to manage media outreach on local, regional, national levels. Knowledge of Carolinas and Florida media a plus.
- Experience with managing/executing grassroots issue-oriented programs
- Comprehensive understanding of social media platforms
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Ability to effectively interact with team members
- Self-motivated, strong organizational and time management skills
- Proactive attitude about client service and agency business development
- Willingness and ability to travel occasionally
To apply, send us your resume with a cover letter. Chernoff Newman will assess qualified applicants based on experience, work samples, a personal interview and references.