UPDATE: Thank you for all who applied, the position has now been filled!
While Public Relations practitioners are sometimes portrayed as “spin-doctors” manipulating messages and the media, the truth is that we actually help our clients and companies reach the right audience with the right communication at the right time. As part of Chernoff Newman’s public relations team in our Columbia office, you’ll be working with dynamic clients in the areas of agriculture, defense, education, financial services, health care, energy, environment and more.
We’re looking for someone with the right combination of this:
- A Bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications, creative writing, journalism or something else that taught you to think, read, write and communicate effectively.
- Three to five years full-time experience in corporate, agency or non-profit public relations. A background in public affairs, government relations or politics won’t disqualify you either.
- Full-time print or broadcast journalism experience is awesome.
- A burning desire to creatively and effectively manage a lot of stuff at one time.
- A super-chilled head in a crisis.
That person will be expected to do this:
- Develop and execute public relations programs and activities for a wide variety of clients.
- Write news releases, media advisories, speeches, letters, articles, blogs, etc.
- Act as spokesperson for client so being comfortable in front of a camera or microphone is definitely a plus.
- Tweet, get LinkedIn, understand Facebook and keep a close eye on whatever social media takes the world by storm next year.
- Work as part of a team that might include creative directors, copywriters, art directors and account executives.
- Pitch and develop relationships with media.
- Plan and manage events whether a news conference, grand opening or media tour.
- Work hard and pay attention to the details.
Chernoff Newman is a team of professionals who have a passion for the communications business. We work to solve problems and ultimately influence consumer behavior. Together, our offices in Columbia and Charleston, SC and Orlando, FL are a hub of activity, producing results for our clients through traditional and nontraditional advertising, interactive experiences, public relations and marketing communications.
We sure you’re a nice person full of confidence, but we’ll still need to see some writing samples and talk to your references. If you’re ready to get started, look around here for a while, ask your friends and colleagues about us and forward your resume to Barbara Hinton.